TR8 saga continued

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: TR8 saga continued
From: mit-eddie!sybase.com!barry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (barry klawans)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 13:10:48 PDT
Well, I finally gave up any idea of buying the TR8 that I was looking at.
It was relatively cheap, but it was missing every piece of smog equipment
that came with the car, and the original carbs and manifold (an integral
part of the emissions system) was sitting in the trunk, in pretty sad shape.
The more I looked at the car the less I liked it.  The front bumper wasn't
stock, it dripped alot of oil (even for a British car), and had a coolant
leak that I suspect was through a head gasket.  Probably bashed something
pretty hard once, I decided.

As it turned out, luck was on my side.  After deciding that I wouldn't be
able to buy a TR8, a guy down in Santa Cruz (60 miles south of SF) advertised
his '80 TR8 for sale.  He was the original owner, had all the records and
paperwork, and best of all it was a California car so it has the fuel injected
engine.  I looked at it Saturday, and bought it yesterday!  First thing I had
to do to get it home was to drive it over the twisty road through the Santa
Cruz hills.  :-)  So now I'm a bona-fide Scion Of Lucas.  (I even have Lucas
fuel injection - I'm doomed.) Waved at the first MGB I saw on the road and
the driver made a face at me. Oh well, can't have everything.

Stay tuned for tons of questions, hopefully not to stupid.  I hope to meet some
of you other west coast SOL-ers at some local events.

Barry Klawans                                           Sybase
Standard disclaimers apply.                             6475 Christie Ave
barry@sybase.com                                        Emeryville, CA  94608

Remember, friction is our friend.