Of MGB's and kids (again)

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Of MGB's and kids (again)
From: uunet!hsi.com!archer@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Garry Archer)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 17:39:37 EDT
Edition 1980 MGBs and how to solve getting all the family into one ...

On August 1st, I wrote:

> The second was a 1980 MGB Limited Edition.  Low Mileage.  Was in storage.
>
> No colour mentioned, but it looked black -- weren't all Limited Editions
> black?  It had the special Limited Edition five spoke alloy wheels and
> a light coloured rag top.  Also, didn't all Limited Editions have the
> special graphics allong the bottom of the car?  Silver on black showing
> a Silver/Black Union Jack?  This car didn't.  If so, the previous owner(s)
> had either removed it or the car has been repainted.
> [Later... ]
> It was black and the top was a tan colour.  I thought the top was an
> unusual colour for the Limited Edition though.  The nice thing about this
> car is that because it is black, the black bumpers don't look half too bad.
> I don't like the luggage rack on the boot lid though.  Overall, the car looks
> pretty.  Me heart began to pound again.

I had a look at Richard Knudson's "Illustrated MG Buyers Guide"... the 1980
LE only comes in black with "attractive" silver body stripes to the lower body
side and special-design alloy wheels fitted.  A competition spoiler (I missed
looking for this little detail!), and a smaller, leather-wrapped sport steering
wheel, a dash plaque on the glove box and chrome luggage rack rounded out the
special equipment.  Knudson says, "This truly made for an attractive package
and was the first and only time that the bumpers matched the body colour.  At
last they almost looked like they belonged!"

After studying the black and white photo (hey, its virtually a colour
photo of this particular model!), my impression is that the front spoiler
makes the car look lower to the ground obviously.  It looks pretty
aggressive for an MGB.

> In the end, me dear wife Ann doesn't like the thought of two-seater sports
> cars.  Not that she doesn't like them, but with two little boys she
> figures she would never get to ride in it with me...

Roger Garnett responds to the above:

> Garry- Do I have a solution for you! Get _two_ LBC's! Tilly has a
> BGT, and I have LBC n-1, and now and then, we take both! Actually,
> the GT is just big enough for small folk in the rear seat, so
> all three of us fit in there, but I prefer topless when I can.

Thanks, Roger.  I must admit, I hadn't quite thought of this little
strategy.  With this great idea in mind, I presented the missus with
the proposition.  Her response fried my eyebrows...

Mike Tobin offers:

> There's a limited edition B for sale down the street from me (in
> Pepperell Ma).  It's been there for some time, but I've never checked
> the price.  If you can stand the temptation I'l check it out for you.

Thanks, Mike!  I tried to send a personal response but my e-mail kept
bouncing like one of those darn-fangled superballs...  Yes, I'd like
to know what these beasties are going for.  Right now, I can't quite
afford one, but I may have options open to me later this year.

Scott ("He who dies with the most MGBs wins") Fisher sez:

> $6000 should buy you four or five MGBs.  Well, two, anyway,
> if they work and look nice and run well.  Or one, if you
> plan to spend half of it on the car and the rest to
> make it perfect.
>
> I have seen Limited Edition MGBs for sale between $4000
> and $8000, though.  Personally, they're low on my list
> of nice Bs to have, unless you lower them an inch and
> a half, take off the 50-lb bumpers and give then a nice
> 18G motor, and in that case you ought to just get a '71
> or earlier in the first place.
>
> Obviously, the solution is to spend your theoretical $6k on
> two MGBs and have her drive Boy 1 and you drive Boy 2.  I can
> vouch for the effect that an open car has on Small Girls,
> and I imagine that on Small Boys it's much the same.  "Whee!
> Say whee, Daddy!"

Roger and Scott have a point.  Unfortunately I don't have $6000.  Thats
just what I expect a &%^$*!& dealer to ask for it.  I wouldn't ever
be able to afford two LBCs at this point in time.  I would only be able
to buy one and fix it up.  I'd like to start with a nice car in good
shape and good running order though.  I don't have the facilities
to do restorations and dealing with basket cases.

Lydia Gregoret allows:

> OK, I admit, I don't have any kids, but in the not too distant future,
> [discussion about saftey seats in the MG... ]
> What do y'all think?  I suppose you'll tell me that this idea is
> entirely unsafe and that when I have kids, I will want to sell the MG
> and get a four-door with a "baby on board" sticker.  Tell me it won't
> be so!

Aha!  My missus has always said that we should get a four-door.  There
is life after MGs (I hope!).  One four-door I wouldn't mind owning is
an early 1960s Jaguar 3.8L Mk II, British Racing Green with wire wheels
(sans "Baby On Board" stickers, of course :-)  Unfortunately I haven't
seen a 3.8L Mk II for less than $10,000 in two years now...

Larry Colen also sez:

> 1980 MGB, If you MUST get a rubber bumber bee that is the one to get.
> I personally highly reccomend '67 as THE VINTAGE MGB to purchase.

I have to agree with Larry.  If I *had* to get an MGB with the rubber
bumpers, only the 1980 Limited Edition would tempt me.  The one I saw
the other day was particularly pretty.  I'm still looking at pre-73's
though.  Scott likes the '71.  Larry suggests the '67.  I suppose
anything in between must satisfy most enthusiasts.  The only other
criteria I seem to have imposed on myself is that it MUST be a dark green
one (unfortunately most dark green MGBs are not true BRG livery).

T.J. Higgins adds:

> Should you be interested, I'll be happy to tell you where you can see
> a picture of a small two-seat British sports car in which 5 people are
> riding (2 adults, 3 kids).  The car is a Sunbeam Alpine (or Tiger if
> you can afford it)....

I once squoze into a Mini with EIGHT other adults (in England).  It was
awfully cramped :-)  We bottomed out just a little bit too :-)  Wasn't there
a record for the most number of adults squished into a Mini in the Guiness
Book of Records once?

Thanks for all responses!   The quest continues ....

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert