Failure Analysis

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Failure Analysis
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 14:38:00 PDT
>After the discussion on A-arm elongation I decided to check my own
>Midget.  No elongation but I did find a crack in the top of the arm
>at the point where it joins the wheel (well, not the wheel - rather
>the kingpin or some such).

I found that on my Midget many years ago.  That's the common
failure for Midget A-arms, and it has to do with the way they
are made, as one-piece stampings with reinforcing plates
welded into place.  They flex, if only slightly, and eventually
crack -- usually at the outer end, where it goes through the
kingpin trunnion.  When this happens, you must replace the
lower A-arm.  It's usually worth replacing the kingpins and
the assorted bushings at the same time.  The kit cost should
be about $150 for the complete kingpin kit on both sides (Vicky
Brit, as Kim calls them, sells the kit for $122 for Bs).

I haven't done my B's suspension yet, so I can't say for sure,
but I did the Midget's rebuild myself, and I think the Midget
was harder than the B will be because of the way the inner
ends of the A-arms mount (into receptacles in the chassis legs).
I recommend getting a big hammer, a pickle fork, and some heavy
chisels or drifts for knocking out the old bolts.  They're
bound to be rusted in places.  Use lots of anti-seize when
you put it back together, and lube it well.

--Scott "It only took me two months to do mine..." Fisher