tr6 cam

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: tr6 cam
From: sgi!uunet.UU.NET!metter!ted@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Ted Lepich)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 90 11:22:02 EDT

        Trashing a new cam can wreak you whole weekend.

            I've been taking my time in rebuilding my '71 TR6.  I've
        had the motor out since about Nov.  But, I thought that this
        was going to be the weekend that I finally got it started.
        But, no such luck.  The gear on the cam that drives the oil
        pump and distributor met with the gear that fits down the
        distributor shaft whole, and it wasn't a pretty site.

            The odd thing is that I really have no idea why this happenned.
        After priming the engine with oil, we set the gear into the
        oil pump hole and lined it up with the cam gear, then placed the
        piece that holds this down into the whole.  The manual calls for
        .005 clearance, adjustable with gaskets, but there sure was a lot
        more than that, so we used only one gasket, and bolted it down.
        Apparently the gear was forced up the whole into this hold down
        piece by the cam gear, and the resulting collision ended up with
        missing teeth on the cam gear and the other gear.

           I really don't know why these gears collided.  Can anyone
        shed some light on this?  I sure would like to know before I
        try again.  I think next time I'll turn the engine without
        the hold down piece bolted in place to see what happens.

            Well, thats the bottom line, but here are some more details.

            My wife bought this '71 TR6 in 1985, in fair shape.  We basically
        kept it running, had the body stripped and repainted not a super
        job, but nice.  We put new redlines on it (I was young and didn't
        know any better).  Then in '88 she got a new car and the TR6 sat.
        Late last year after getting a house, it's a pain to work on cars
        in apartment parking lots.  I decided to get the TR running.

            Of course all it really needed was a valve job, and I had to
        make the windshield wipers return to park in order for it to
        pass Maryland state saftey inspection.  But, ... it now has new
        springs (uprated) all around, poly-bushings, new dash pad, I'm
        making a new walnut dash, it's getting new floor pannels welded
        in next week, new syncros in the trans mission, new clutch,
        pressure plate and throwout bearing, new main & rod bearings,
        that valve job was done (3-angle), head shaved .075", intake
        ports ported and matched (removed that big lip on the top side),
        and a header.  Oh, yea the cam was a 3/4 race grind, with of
        course new lifters and uprated springs.

            The car is looking good and I can't wait to drive it again,
        it's not even going to be the same car.

            If anyone knows how I screwed the cam up please enlighten me!

        Thanks
        Ted Lepich
        Annapolis, MD