Re: Sarah's suspension saga

To: jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Subject: Re: Sarah's suspension saga
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 90 09:58:10 PDT
[I've been gone a week, so dredge your memeory -- I'm the one with the
4A with the front suspension troubles.]

        [Recalcitrant bolts]

        You really have no need to remove them.  I looked at them, looked at
        the rust, fiddled a little with one, and decided I didn't really have
        any real need to remove them.  It's real easy in a project like this to
        disassemble everything in sight, even if there's no direct reason to,
        often causing even more problems than you started with.

Well, I did have a need to remove them. First, I needed to disassemble
everything so I could put the parts on a surface plate and see what was
bent and how. This is how I discovered that the vertical link on the
"undamaged" side was bent. And then I had to get everything apart in
order to replace the pieces! I saw all that rust and said "Hmm, if I
ever *need* to get in here, it'll be a real bitch, better get it apart
now while I'm not in a hurry and make it easier for the next time.

My guess is that no one had the suspension apart for at least 10 years.
This includes replacing bushings.

        [About chewed up upper A-arm brackets]

        What happened (at least on one side) was the the vertical link
        was bent, allowing the wheel to hit the upper a-arms. Mine had eaten
        part way into one, and was working on one of the ball-joint bolts.
        Wider than stock wheels (and/or more inner offset) can also cause
        contact, or other things that change steering geometries.

Fascinating. Indeed, the chewed up side is the one with the bent
vertical link. And I used to hear "thunks" on that side at full
steering lock. I can't quite picture the geometry that has this happen
(stock wheels, btw), but I'll take your word for it.

Oh, yes, I'm replacing everything in sight, too, except bearings, and
discs, which seem fine. But this isn't frivolous -- badly needed.

Latest report: I got everything apart yesterday (had to saw a ball
joint and one bolt out), cleaned and painted. Reassembly starts soon,
maybe I'll have my brake rebuild kit by then, too.

chris