Sarah's Suspension Saga, part n

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Sarah's Suspension Saga, part n
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 05:45:30 PDT
This is a copy of a somewhat lengthy letter that I just sent off to The
Raodster Factory. I'm getting desperate, so I thought I'd send a copy
here, too -- any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

          The Roadster Factory
          P.O. Box 332
          Armagh, PA 15920

          Gentlemen:

          I have a research question for you. My 1967 TR-4A, CTC73951L, is
          off the road, at a frame shop, trying to get the alignment set
          properly. It's a rather long saga. The condensed version is that
          I recently rebuilt the front suspension.  I merely wanted to
          replace the bushings (I purchased the car last August and it
          appeared that no one had done so for many years, if ever). While
          doing so, I found the remains of an accident; the right front
          lower A-arm members and attachment brackets were rather bent. I
          replaced these. The left vertical link was also bent, so I
          replaced it, too, and the lower A-arm attachment brackets. All
          well and good. Off to get a proper alignment.

          The first alignment shop I took her to told me that the frame
          must be bent, because they couldn't get rid of the positive
          caster in the front. He recommended a frame shop, Precision Frame
          and Axle in San Jose. I took her there.

          The next day I got a call saying that the frame was perfectly
          straight, but the alignment was terrible, and the rear track was
          off. They would correct the rear track and get the alignment set
          properly. Fine, I went away for a few days.

          Upon my return yesterday, I received another call: try as they
          might, they can't get rid of the positive caster, both front and
          rear. For the rear, they were going to try putting three-notch
          attachment brackets in. For the front, they wanted to remove half
          a coil from the springs. These are new stock springs, just
          purchased from you. This made me uncomfortable, so I told him to
          leave the springs alone, and do what he could.

          At this point, I'm looking for ideas. The front caster is
          somewhere around 1 to 1.5 degrees positive, where it should be
          0.5 degrees negative. The one thought I've had is that when I
          took the front cross-tube out to paint it, I had a devil of a
          time getting it in and out, even when supporting the frame at the
          center so that the weight of the car would cause the wheels to
          "droop". Is it possible that this is the wrong part, or bent? The
          mounting ears have only two holes, which is consistent with the
          drawings in the spare parts catalog. Another reason that I'm
          wonderng this is that when I replaced the front engine mounts, I
          had to put shims in place to raise the engine enough to have the
          fan extension clear the steering rack. If the shock towers were
          too far apart, the V shape between them would be too wide,
          causing the engine to sit too low.

          The main question I'd like answered is whether it is possible
          that an incorrect part has been installed for the front
          cross-tube; perhaps that from a TR-4, which had positive camber
          (but, I realize, a different frame).  Any suggestions for
          correcting the problems I'm having would also be appreciated. If
          you can reply by TeleFax at the above number, that would be very
          helpful, as the car is off the road and I'll be talking to the
          frame shop again today.

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Christopher A. Kent