percy's spitting noises

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: percy's spitting noises
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 12:14:11 EDT
Being a Spitfire, he should be making spitting noises, I suppose...

Seems like the problem is the asbestos flexible pipe from the EGR valve to the
intake manifold.  I sonder how easy that is to find.  The 1990 TFR price list
does not give them, tho' last year's price list did, for about $4.  Maybe I
should just take the EGR valve off, but I don't want to.  I expect the lower
combustion temps that the EGR valve was designed to do is a good thing.

I haven't found any problem with the valves etc.  I reset them again, found no
big problems, but some of them have very sensitive threads on the adjusters.
I am not gonna' worry just yet, since it sounds fine otherwise.

About compression, I did indeed get 197, 18?, 169, 192, with #3 going up about
10 psi with oil in the plug hole.  (No, I didn't recheck compression.)  This is
a '76 block, and I assume it was built with normal pistons for a '76.  THe
compression you read can vary with lots of things, temp, etc...but it isn't
easy to calculate...

(It did seem hight to me.)

Jim