More Triumph Specialty

To: "bellcore!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!alliant!british-cars"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: More Triumph Specialty
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 5 Jul 1990 9:15 EDT
>Steve Valin wrote:
>I would prefer to give them (or practically anyone else) my money, than those
>assholes at T.S.
>
>next person...

With reference to Triumph Specialty, I have (as president of
The Vintage Triumph Register) intervened on at least two
occasions to assist VTR members with problems (mail order)
they have had with Triumph Specialty.

In one case, a member had a back order for a TR-4 hood badge that
after several months he told them to forget it and refund his money.
Only after I personally spoke with the manager did he finally get
a refund.

In another case, Triumph Specialty sent a wrong timing chain and
would not take it back because of their stated policy of not accepting
returns after 48 hours.  In this case, the person that ordered the
part by phone had no access to that information and after receiving
the part, waited several days before starting the repair on his vehicle
at which point he discovered the part was not correct.  I don't
recall how this one worked out for the individual.

I have a file at home labeled vendor complaints, and (to the best of
my recollection) Triumph Specialty is the only vendor in it.  After
a couple of these complaints, we (VTR) published a "How to Deal with
Mail Order" article that lays out the groundwork of protecting
yourself.

Bill Sohl