Triumph Speciality

To: british-cars%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Triumph Speciality
From: "Teriann J. Wakeman" <mit-eddie!APPLE.COM!twakeman@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 18:14:56 -0700
I couldn't stay out of this one.
When I first got my TR3A, before I discovered Moss, TRF, Triumph Travelers
SCC, I discovered Triumph Specialty.  I purchased some parts from them &
got OK parts at an OK price.  A few things bothered me about the company.
1.  The owner was always yelling at his help & calling them incompitent.
2.  When you purchased anything you had to sign a legalesse clause on the sales
slip that essentually waived all consumer rights.
3. If you returned something AND they accepted the return you could only get
store credit.

Well, I decided I wanted a TR4A head for my TR3A & purchased a head from them.
The owner let me pay by check (they normally would not take checks).
 BACKTRACK- Every triumph person I had talked to warned me against Triumph
Speciality. They said often prices were very high, they shipped wrong or
warn out parts & wouldn't exchange them or alow refunds.  Triumph Specialty
even had its front door shotgunned by an irate ex customer according to rumor.

BACK TO THE STORY-  At that time I was doing research into TR heads & their
differences.  i discovered that the head that TS sold me was for a late TR3A.
I brought it back & was told that I was wrong & all the heads were i
interchangable anyway.  He offered to take it back & give me store credit.

I wanted the correct head & did not have the extra money to have sitting as
store credit.  So.. i left the store with the head, put a hold on the check,
went to East fourteenth St autowreckers and purchased the correct TR4A head,
then called TS to let him know I canceled the check.  He threatened me with a
trip to small claims court saying that he NEVER lost (remember that rights
waiver
he makes everyone sign?). I told him that I had taken pictures of the head and
the still attached tag labeling it as a TR4A head. If he wanted to take me to
court, I could prove that he sold me a mislabeled part. After a silence on
his side, he agreed to exchange the head for the check.

I never went back

TeriAnn