Re: Reverse synchro

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM,
Subject: Re: Reverse synchro
From: Michael Sands <mit-eddie!apple.com!sands@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 08:44:20 -0700
I was going to avoid this because I am still embarassed to own
a macho piece of American hardware.  The Corvette, even the late
model 4+3 computer controlled over drive, does not have synchro
in reverse.  The difficult part about driving a Corvette is parking
one.  As a theft deterrant, the key cannot be removed unless the
transmission is in reverse, something about making the car difficult
to move.  The reverse gears are straight cut, not helical like most
gears.  Helical cut gears are quieter while running.  This explains
why reverse is often noisy.

Coming quickly to a stop requires first attempting to engage second
(I find third works slightly better).  This stops the secondary
shaft in the transmission from rotating, thus allowing easy entry
into reverse.  Believe me, missing the attempted engagement into
a forward gear and being in a hurry, results in a healthy grunch.

Having admitted all that, the car is for sale.  Probably the only
part I would be willing to warrant to the new owner is reverse
gear, in spite of the abuse.

Michael