Re: Various Triumph Items

Subject: Re: Various Triumph Items
From: Darrell Walker <mit-eddie!hprpcd.hp.com!walker@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 14:36:54 PDT
This is to clarify about the "floor mats" that I found in my TR and asked
Bill Sohl about.

What I found was some type of sheet material that had been glued to the
floor behind the seats in my TR-4A.  This material was also glued over
the differential and under the gas tank.  It appears to have been glued
on at the factory or shortly thereafter, as the paint underneath appears
very new.  This material was also glued over several plugs in the floor
and trunk area.

The material is black, and may be rubber.  It is quite brittle, but
24 or so years might account for that.  It appears that it may be some
type of sound-deadening material,  Chris Kent reports that he has seen
something similar inside the doors, and I seem to recall the same inside
my doors.

I called TRF to see if they knew anything about this, and they did not.
I thought that was the end of it, assuming that someone had added it to
try to quiet things down.  Then a few weeks ago, I saw the same thing
in a car at the junk yard.

So basically, my questions are, is this material original?  If so, was it
acutally rubber, or perhaps some tar-like substance?

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@hprpcd.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: walker (hprpcd) /HP5200/UX