Re: Facet fuel pump

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Facet fuel pump
From: mit-eddie!travis.csd.harris.com!andyh%hcxio.ssd.csd.harris.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Andy Haber)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 12:02:24 EDT
> I got my Facet fuel pump from Whitney.  The catalog says it fits
> 12-volt negative ground and positive-ground cars.  The intructions do
> not say this.  What is the deal with these pumps?  Can I just pop it
> into my positive-earth Spridget, or will it fry?

The aftermarket fuel pump I bought for my MGB (which I don't think
was made by Facet) uses solid state electronics instead of mechanical
points.  You can tell because there is a big ol' TO3 power transistor
on the side of the case.  This pump definetely could be damaged if you
hooked it up backwards, even breifly.  I believe the documentation that
came with this pump stated this clearly.  To put such a pump into a
positive earth car would required isolating the pump case from the
chassis of the car, wiring the + lead to the frame, and connecting
the pump case to the lead normally routed to the pump.

--
Andy Haber    (andyh@hdw.csd.harris.com)
Harris Computer Systems Division, Ft Lauderdale, FL