TVR

To: alliant!alliant.Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: TVR
From: sgi!europa.esd.sgi.com!steve@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Steve Valin)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 10:17:05 PDT
Well, it isn't a Vixen mk1 or mk2 (which is what I was looking for), but even
stranger.  A 1959 TVR Grantura Mk1 now sits in my garage.  It is in very good
shape and runs fine.  The brakes stick from sitting for 10 years, but that
is easily remedied.  For those interested, the Grantura Mk1 was the first
TVR put into (limited) production.  It uses a tube frame with a fiberglass
coupe body bonded to it.  They came with either a Ford side-valve, an MGA 1500,
or Coventry-Climax engines.  Mine has the MGA engine. They have independent
rear suspension using VW type 1 torsion bar suspension. The front supension
is also VW torsion bar.  Can you say "very stiff ride"? I knew you could.
100 of the MK1's were made.

The guy I bought it from imported it from England (hence, it is right-hand
drive).  He put it in storage without registering it, so I get to have all the
DMV fun.  The DMV will want to see the VIN number on the car, but I can't
find it anywhere.  Maybe somebody out there knows where to look?  Also, anybody
know of any TVR clubs?  Anybody on this list have a TVR?

Also, any bay area folk have a car trailer they aren't using this weekend?  I
would like to trailer the car up to Chico for the British car meet happening up
there.  I also have some friends in Chico that own a British car parts place
that will help me identify some of the components on the car, so I will know
what to get when something fails.

Steve (whose parking problem is just beginning) Valin

--
steve valin             Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls
steve@sgi.com           But Violet Gives Willingly