Lotus Help

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Lotus Help
From: mit-eddie!sli.com!rdh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Robert D. Houk)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 14:34:38 EDT
   What I hear is a rythmic squeak from the back of the car.  The tune it
   sings changes if the car is going down the road or turning.  I have the
   vaccum boosters working on the brakes.  When I touch the brakes (ie. the
   rear shoes start moving out) the noise goes away.

My Europa had an annoying "squeek" that I traced back to the coil rubbing
against the shock body. Sigh. I learned to live with it. Sometimes the
front disks would squeal some, Repco Metalmaster pads cured that problem.
If your rear drums are rubbing, I suppose that could squeal some too. You
might try pulling the drums and lightly sanding the shoes - enough to
break through any glaze to expose fresh shoe surface - it usually worked
with disk brake pads (which then usually glazed up again in 5K miles). Or
your bearings could be going, or the U-joints (although I think they tend
to "rumble" rather than squeal when about to die off), or a tire might be
rubbing against the body/other stuff (stock or oversize tires?), or the
alternator [bearings] might be going, or the water pump is about to bite
it off, or . . . Good Luck!

                                        -RDH