help with nasty noise

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: help with nasty noise
From: Edward Burns <mit-eddie!ads.com!eburns@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 May 90 12:03:53 PDT
Transmissions are definately my weak point when it comes to auto
work, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

This is on a `67 MBG-GT with a non-syncro, non-overdrive trans.

My wife has been driving the car every day and told me a few weeks ago
that a loud noise suddenly started in the transmission.  She told me
it only happened under acceleration, and only in first and second gear.

I've known for awhile that it needed a new shift rod bushing because of
a vibration noise in first gear, so I assumed it got worse and wasn't
too worried.  I drove it and still felt the same way.  About a week later
though, she told me that the noise was now also occurring in 3rd gear and
it seemed much worse in 1st.  I bought a new bushing last week and
installed it this weekend.  Unfortunately, it only seemed to help a little.
The noise is just as bad in first, but slightly better in 2nd and 3rd.
Also, it sometimes doesn't occur at all in 3rd now.

NOW I'M WORRIED!!  Any ideas?

A few of my own observations:   There is no noise at idle, or while
coasting in gear.  The clutch feels fine and I feel no change in the
actual shifting of gears.  A couple of times, I heard a squeak(?) while
coasting with the car in gear.  This sounded sort of like a bad release
bearing sounds when you engage/disengage at idle, but our car doesn't do
that.

Has anyone dealt with this?  *Any* advice appreciated.  Thanks.

-Ed