help on TR4

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: help on TR4
From: mit-eddie!wpi.wpi.edu!boggiano@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Thomas A. Boggiano)
Date: Mon, 28 May 90 19:47:53 EST
Help. I have a TR4 that about a month ago would start up with little
difficulty. This last weekend with the great weather I wanted to take
it out for a spin. Well it would not start. It did not even come close
to starting the engine would not turn at all. These are the things that
I tried with no success.

 . Went over the engine connections looking for a loose connection. I
   found none

 . I checked the battery, It was in good shape.

 . The I checked the starter solenoid and it seemed to function as
   expected. The starter could be the problem but it is relatively new
   and I really do not know how to test it.

Other symptoms.

 . The red idiot light dims into oblivion when the lights are on
   but the lights light to full brightness

 . If the coil is disconnected from the battery, the red idiot light
   does not dim but then the engine still will not turn.

Where can I go next? I have looked through the shop manuals and they
seem to tell me things I have thought of and tried. Are there any Ideas
out there that would save me time which I do not have to spend on
the beast. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

                              Tom Boggiano
                    WPI Office of Academic Computing
                        email boggiano@wpi.wpi.edu