STOOOPPP!!!

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: STOOOPPP!!!
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Fri, 18 May 90 13:15:29 EDT
Not stoop, but STOP.

Several things are happening.  Please bear with me.

The level of SOL mail has gone up dramatically with the warm weather.  Several
people have asked to be removed.  Several are threatening.  That is a shame.

Chris Kent has set up a sub-list of west-coast names, in an effort to reduce
the load on mit-eddie, but it appears that that list is acting strangely.  It
gave me over 7000 lines of bounced mail today, and I expect the same tomorrow
and tomorrow, since people started complaining two days ago about SOL mail
stopping.

Some folks have proposed (again) that we go to a usenet newsgroup (or in
welty-speak, an newsfroup).  I am against it, but I can't keep wading through
the good mail at this clip, let alone the bounced stuff.  I would be willing
to be a moderator, but I don't know what that means.  I suspect it will be
less time-consuming than debugging peoples' mail paths now.  I see that there
is a parallel discussion going on in rec.autos about splitting it up into
nationalities, one of which would be rec.autos.british.  I don't like it but
it may be necessary....

In the meantime, PLEASE reduce your posting load.  I open the floor to
discussion about whether this should become a newsfroup (but I shudder at the
thought of the increased mail traffic on it...).  I don't want this group
to fold under its own weight.  If necessary, I will make a major purge,
executive-decision-style, and some blood will flow.  I've done it before.
(yeesh...)

In the words of that esteeemed hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, "Thag you very buch".

Jim Muller