Flexibility of universal wrenches?

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Flexibility of universal wrenches?
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 May 90 10:38:56 pdt
>orr_b@apollo.hp.com (Bill Orr) writes:

>There is available, I don't know whether in the US but
>certainly in the UK, a wrench design that handles all
>the various permutations of whitworth, metric, AF, etc, etc.
>around the same size with the same wrench.
>Sound like magic!! the wrenches, lets call them spanners,
>drive the nut by applying force to the flat of the nut
>and not to the corners as in a conventional design thus
>allowing a considerable amount of latitude in the size of the
>nut each wrench will handle.
>
>Any interest

Bill,

How bulky are these jobbers.  Can they be fit into the same tight
access places a socket fits into?  What about a bolt that's right up
against a casting or whatever where there's only enough clearance for
the thickness of a socket?

These sound like they might be handy wrenches to have around for those
once in a while special needs.

Roland