Tools: Roll your own! (was Re: Wrenches)

To: mit-eddie!Alliant.COM!british-cars@GARP.MIT.EDU
Subject: Tools: Roll your own! (was Re: Wrenches)
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 10 May 90 08:17:07 EDT
>Just in case anyone thinks that these wrenches are plentyfull
>So, try buying a couple of sets of cheap metric
>spanners until you find a 14mm item which is just
>the right/wrong size :)

Even easier, at least for open end wrenches, is to get an extra wrench of
one size smaller and grind it a bit bigger. Having the "right" tool is
often a matter of appropriately modifying what is available. Spare odds
and ends of tools are a valuable resource. I couldn't live without odds
and ends of steel rod angle iron and other bits and pieces that are
sometimes availble as free scrap. It does help to have some modifier tools
as well:
        -an acetyline torch is good for those custom bent wrenches to
         get around a bracket, as well as welding nuts and bolts together
         to make custom pullers and the likes. (I know they're not
         cheap, but just make friends with someone who has one.)
        -various forms of grinders are almost invaluable. A cheap bench
         grinder, some files, and a hacksaw are a good start.
        -an electric drill can be handy for holes, grinding wheels, etc.
        -We all have a big hammer :-)
-Heating, and bending the end of a piece of round stock, then grinding
the sides flat yeilds the square wrench needed for differential drain
and fill plugs.
-Forging the end of a longer rod square, and double
bending the other end, resulted in a wonderful crankshaft for the siczsors
jack in my 'B. (About the only type of jack for LBC's which is functional,
relativly safe, and doesn't take up much space in the boot.
-A length of angle iron with a hole at on end can be bolted to the flywheel,
and braced against another bolt head to hold the crank from turning while
removing or installing the front nut or the flywheel bolts.
        Don't consider your tools "sacred", even if you have to modifiy one
of your primary tools in a pinch, they can be replaced. And you will have
the tool next time you need it too. Happy tinkering... :-)
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!