Why we like these LBCs, despite the hassles

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Why we like these LBCs, despite the hassles
From: mit-eddie!iris.brown.edu!ejd@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 10 May 90 01:06:57 EDT

Michael Sands, in writing about his Seven vs his Corvette, covers
exactly the reasons that I own the cars I do, and is probably
true for most people here.

When I tell people that I have a Stag and a 'cuda in addition to the
Miata, they almost always ask 'why'?

The Miata's loads of fun, starts infallibly, runs in the hardest rains,
doesn't leak, handles great, and has a 50Kmi warrantee.

But I don't even change my own oil on it.  For $16, the dealer can
get his hands dirty.  The car is (until the warrantee runs out :-)) a
black box bit of fun trasnportation.  It's not a hobby.
My hobby cars have quirks.  They don't always start - in fact neither
is running (until the 'cuda is back from the body shop).  They don't
have air conditioning. The 'cuda is loud, it's hot, it guzzles gas,
and you can really only fit two people in a car the size of a modern
Oldsmobuick.

But I've built it - almost every bit when it's back together.  There's
part of me in the car (and a lot of my wallet).  The Stag will be the
same, sometime down the road.  Maybe even the Miata...wheels & tires,
hotter cams, new injection computer. Yeah, it could be OK.

But then I'll need to buy another car to drive everyday.

Good thing I'm not married.

ed