Wire Wheel Questions

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject: Wire Wheel Questions
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Wed, 9 May 90 18:50:37 EDT
Thanks to Mark for the wire wheel source data.

It raised some questions.

What's the difference between "center laced" and "bead laced" and "not
mentioned"?

When I get to the Healey I want to put some "real" wheels on it.  To my
eyes the thin stock wheels are the car's weakest visual element.  They
sure don't do the roadholding any good and they're weak. With hard
driving they're only good for a couple of years.  I was racing
my wife up a freeway onramp once (she was in front in the Healey and I
was behind in the Hillman - no contest there) when the Healey's outside
rear wheel burst.  It was real impressive - spokes flying everywhere!

The latest issue of the Brit Classic and Sportscar features a vintage
racing Healey with some real mean looking offset wires (and no fender
flairs).  I want 'em!

It might bore a lot of others, but I guess I could use a wire wheel
primer (the lesson, not the paint).

Mike Tobin