stainless pop-rivets

To: british-cars%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: stainless pop-rivets
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!WALZER%s46.prime.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 01 May 90 13:13:11 EDT
Stainless steel pop-rivets should be available in small quantities
at most serious hardware stores. Else, check yellow pages under
fasteners. Actually, I think I bought mine from a sign maker.
Possibly available at boat supply place but boat things are expensive

Needless to say SS rivets are more expensive than Aluminum but not
much. Beats the expense of welding if you don't have the equipment.
One slight problem with SS rivets is the tool used. Your basic hand
too is OK for 1/16 SS rivets but 3/16 SS rivets may not break with
such a light weight hand tool. Either rent/borrow a more commercial
tool, or don't try break the rivets but snug up tight and cut stud with
hacksaw, or file more notch on stud for easier breaking.

Always remember that pop-rivets should not replace welding in all
applications. Use on floor boards only if structural members are
in good shape. Now i'd be careful using aluminum rivets for floor
boards or you may drag your butt at wrong time.

The beauty of pop-rivets is that you can drill them out. I fabricated
a center hump over the drive shaft on my healey. Later had to remove it
to remove overdrive. Saved pulling whole tranny.
Another advantage is that a sealer can be applied between metal pieces
being fastened. (Sealer not burned off das would happen if welding.)

Happy Healeying....  Duane WALZER@s46.prime.com