SU tuning, Outback?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: SU tuning, Outback?
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 10:00:24 EDT
Steve Cox sez:
        With Spitfires, GT-6s, Heralds and Vitesses, their engine accessibility
        can make unaided SU balancing quite easy. Just lift the front up, stick
        your nose between the carbs and do it in 'stereo'.

This is actually the commonly reccommended method for other older setup's, as
well. Such as the MG "T" series. (and MMM cars :-)) No tube necessary,
just put your ear up to the horn, and listen.

Dave H nailed me on a point of fact in my SU tuning blurb, which was written
with the type HS in mind. Here's a float spec chart he made up.  (Thats why
I always say to check your manual too!)
        Type               Description                             Measurment

        H     Seperate float bowl attached with one bolt.          7/16
              Jet and choke is exposed.

        HD    Jet is not exposed float is held on with 4 screws    7/16

        HS    A tube carries fuel from the float.  These have      3/16 (brass)
              Two type of float bowls brass and plastic            1/8  (plastic
[actually, 1/8-3/16 for either -RG]
        HIF   (IF stands for integral float)  The float is         50/1000 +-10
              adjusted with a straight edge and feeler guage.

A point of interest here- The prewar SU's are basicly the same beast as the
H, but there's no piston damper or springs. Just a cap that says
                        "few drops
                         thin oil
                        every month "
and the piston is brass...  And yes, I can just lift the bonnet on
my MG PA and stick my ear up to the carbs. But due to there only being
6 1/2" center to center, I can't quite listen in sterio.

Well, here it is Tuesday. I'm not done with the touch up paint. I haven't
started the tune up. Due to being sick last week, parts got ordered late,
so I'm still waiting for UPS to bring my NEEDED brake and clutch slave
kits, and hoses, etc. And I haven't got back my confirmation for the
rally yet. Oh, Gerry, I envy you- you got your engine together *last*
weekend!
        So, how many of us are showing up for the East Coast SOL GOF?
(Rich's Outback IV, this Saturday, the 28th, in/near Kingston, NY)
Tilly and I are planning on getting up there Friday. :-o

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!