alignment tool and books

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM, racers%hoosier@cs
Subject: alignment tool and books
From: Michael Sands <mit-eddie!apple.com!sands@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 90 14:18:58 -0800
Someone asked about the tool I recently bought to align my
Super Seven and about the books I was referencing.

Halibrand makes a nice black anodized aluminium alignment tool
for $69.  It is a 16 by 4 inch plate with two standoffs adjustable
for 13, 14, and 15 inch wheels and the plate has two bubble
levels attached with "micrometer" wheels attached.  These wheels
are calibrated to turn once for each three degrees of change.  The
bubble levels seem to be more accurate to change than what you find
on a carpenter's level.  A template and instructions are included
for testing caster.

For setting camber, you place the tool against the rim of your wheel
and turn the "bubble wheel" until it shows level.  The camber angle
can be read off the wheel.

To set caster, you use the template to mark three marks, straight ahead
and 20 degress to either side, on the ground.  The steering wheel
is turned until the tire is pointing first one direction and then the
other and camber reading are taken.  The difference between these
two readings times 1.5 is the caster angle.  It is facinating to see
the camber change and wonder what the tire is really doing in the
corner.  There is also provision for checking the caster directly
off the suspension by leaning the tool against the center line.

I was impressed with my ability to measure within less than a tenth of
a degree.

I mentioned a couple of books worth getting, partly because of their
entertainment value and partly because of their common sense.  I
would even recommend that the person interested in preserving the
art work of foreign countries take a look at these even though they
are targeted at the racing community.  They explain a lot.

How to Make Your Car Handle, Fred Puhn, HPBooks is ok.

The trilogy by Carroll Smith,
(arg, I am drawing a blank...)
Tune to Win, Engineer to Win, and ?

These are great even if I can't remember the names!

Michael