Re: Austin-Healy (Bugeye) Sprite Info

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Austin-Healy (Bugeye) Sprite Info
From: mit-eddie!NRI.Reston.VA.US!rdroms@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 17:36:15 EST
Gee, *finally* a question to which I can supply some answers:

   From: Darrell Walker <mit-eddie!denim.hp.com!walker@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
   Date: Mon, 11 Dec 89 12:56:40 PST

   1.  Are any differences between the different years (58-61?) of the
       Sprint mk I?

Someone with better reference materials will have to answer this
one...

   2.  Any particular trouble spots to check?

Body rust - rocker panels and transmission tunnel are, I understand,
structural members.  Rust here (check the inside rocker panels, too)
is a Bad Thing.  Other rust prone area are the door pillars and around
the rear leaf spring mounts.  Rust in the latter can lead to the
distressing "collapsed suspension" syndrome.

Motor - the examples I've owned have all leaked around the rear main
bearing.  Other than that, they seem pretty rugged ... I once bought a
Mk. I Midget (same 948cc engine) whose owner said the engine ran "kind
of rough".  Turns out the crankshaft was in two pieces (split between
the center main bearing and the number three crank journal).  Oh, and
watch the oil pressure.

Transmission - 2nd gear synchros are usually weak (but that's what
double-clutching is for, right?).

Electrical system - no comment (giggle).

   3.  Who are the main parts sources for them?

You'll get lots of answers here.  I deal almost exclusively with
Motorhead, Ltd., of Arlington VA., (703) 527-3140.  Get on their
mailing list - their newsletter/catalog is usually good for a chuckle
or two.

   4.  Can a person who is 5'11" (me) drive one comfortably?  (I know its for
       my wife, but...)

I'm 5'10" and have only run into trouble really once: I went over a
bump too fast w/o seat belt in place (tsk, tsk) and smacked my head on
one of the pieces that hold up the convertible top.  (I only made that
mistake once.)  With seat belt fastened it's not a problem at all.

   5.  Any information on national AH or sprite clubs would be appreciated,
       as well as pointers to any books about the sprite.

Can't help with this one, either.  Good luck...

- Ralph Droms                             (On leave from Bucknell University)
  NRI                                     rdroms@nri.reston.va.us
  1895 Preston White Drive, Suite 100     (703) 620-8990
  Reston, VA 22091                        (703) 620-0913 (fax)