My "better" comment

To: hoosier!sol@cs
Subject: My "better" comment
From: mit-eddie!p42.f4.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG!George.Emery@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (George Emery)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 13:02:08 PST
In minor defense of my tactless typing fingers, the original query
concerned pre-'68 Spitfires and Spridgets, I thought.  Therefore
the original swing-spring shouldn't be considered tamed until one
actually does the modifications necessary.  Tweaking the rear of
a Spitfire, in contrast to the adjustments available to the front
suspension, is something of a black art as opposed to the "let's go
shopping" effort that it takes to tweak a Spridget.

If we go to the touring capabilities of the two cars, then I'll
give the Spitfire a nod everytime.  The greater interior room (it's
6" wider) and better creature comforts win hands down.  As does the
softer suspension.

A Spridget's steering is remarkable.  The Spitfire, while respectable,
just isn't as fast geared as the Spridget (which incidentally took it's
steering rack from the Morris Minor).  The Spitfire also doesn't have
a first gear synchro -- that first appeared with the Mk. IV.

Mark B. - I would highly recommend reading ANY of Vizard's books.
His writing style is wonderful and, though his suggestions are
usually right on, he will constantly remind you that testing things
is far more reliable than accepting anybody's word.

George Emery
(503) 257-9731
--
George Emery - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
            UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!4.42!George.Emery