Morality and Existential Angst

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Morality and Existential Angst
From: linus!harvard!husc6!sunpeaks!cadnetix.COM!waynea%ursa-major.SPDCC.COM@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Wayne Angevine)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 14:21:04 MST
   Here's a thought-provoking question.  What are the moral considerations
   involved in taking a running car out of commission for parts?  There
   is a 2000 at a local junkyard which supposedly runs well, but is rusty.
   I could get the whole car for the price of rebuilding my engine.
   Should I scrap a (possibly) rebuildable, relatively rare car, when
   all that stands between my own engine and a good, long life is money?
   I should explain that this is a body-on-frame car, so the rust is
   likely not fatal.  In fact, I have two brand-new (actually NOS) rear
   fenders in my garage.

   How hard is it to do an engine swap?

   Wayne