Re: [Bricklin] Brake question - Rear drums brakes

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Brake question - Rear drums brakes
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 22:36:32 -0400
At 04:48 AM 5/15/2016, sk-svenkoch@gmx.de wrote:

 >my annual check of my SV-1 shows up, that the rear drums are not working
 >equally.

 >I have tried to get the drum off the axle (passenger side), but nothing
 >happens:

Sven,

Chances are that your drum has warn a little.  The shoes usually
don't fit across the entire drum surface and consiquently wear like a
"L" laying down with the short foot of the L towards the outside.  So
you'll have to retrace the shoes a lot.

As to which direction, that is always a problem.  Adjust in one
direction.  If the drum gets very tight and won't turn, then you've
expanded the shoes as though you'd put on the brakes.  So go in the
other direction a long ways.  As you go you can try and wiggle the
drum.  If it doesn't wiggle at all, the it can be rusted to the
hub.  As Scott sent the video link, try gently tapping the drum with
a hammer or using a screw to try and jack it off the hub.  Keep in
mind, it may not come if the
shoes aren't retracted enough.

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
Bricklin@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive