Re: [Bricklin] Heater fan problem

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Heater fan problem
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 08:16:09 -0400
At 10:10 PM 4/7/2015, Glenda Cutright wrote:

 >Hi Guys, I have a problem with the heater fan in 2009. I have tested the fan
 >motor and it works. I have pulled the resister and it tests ok. I
have 11.5 volts to
 >the fan motor and to the resister. I have the dash out so I can check other
 >things under the dash. I am looking for suggestions of what to test
next. I want
 >to get the AC fixed while I have the dash out but I need to have
the heater fan
 >working for the shop to fix AC expansion valve.

Merv,

Since you have 11.5 V at the fan, there are only 2 things I can think of:

1.  While you have voltage, you have way too much resistance so not enough
current to turn the motor over.  So check the connector and the wire going from
the resistor pack to the motor.

2. More than likely, it's a bad ground.  Try running an aligator clip
lead from a good
metal part on the fan, say a bolt that hold the fan to the box, and to a good
ground like the bolt holding the shock in the top of the shock tower.

If that works, you need to find the ground and redo it.

While the following does not match you symptoms, it is possible that
your brushes
are shot.  Especially if the motor is original and 40 yrs old and
used a good bit.

If you need a motor, you might want to try Les Randolph or John
Martin.  I think
they may have an upgraded fan motor.  If you try to get one from the common
autoparts stores, take the old one with you.  I've ordered several
only to get the
wrong motor.  It has shafts on both end.

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

---
Bricklin@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive