Re: [Bricklin] Electrical Questions Alternator and Air system

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Electrical Questions Alternator and Air system
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:13:18 -0500
New alternator passed at the parts store and seems to be working in the car,
but I am seeing around 12 volts and I was expecting higher.  It does seem to
keep the battery LED at green and does not go to yellow and then red like the
previous alternator that failed.  One issue I am seeing is when starting the
car there is a large drain on the battery voltage.  Sometimes after one or two
failed starts it seems to almost drain the battery.  I have installed a mini
starter a while back and I was wondering if the mini starter has a larger
power draw than the standard.  I have search the internet and it seems to
always point to the mini as having more torque and less weight, but I cannot
find any information to compare the power draw.

I was able to drive around and full up with gas.  I even let the car sit for a
couple of hours and then started it and drove down the interstate.  I am going
to see about getting the wheels balanced.  Not exactly a smooth ride at 70.
While I am there I am going to have the charging system checked to see if
there are still issues.

I am also still fighting heat issues.  With an infrared temp gauge, I checked
the drivers side floor and it was around 99 and the passenger side was 86.
When checking the down pipes I am seeing 200.  I am getting a reading of HI on
the headers while running and the cold air intake has a temp of 100 which is
good.  Radiator was at 170 and the hood when closed is at 100.  I am using
lizard skin on the firewall and underbody and have a 1/2 inch PVC heat/sound
shield on the floor.  So from the engine temp to the interior floor it is
doing pretty good.  Just not sure how well the AC will be able to stay ahead.
I know air flow is going to make a difference and plan to check the temps
while moving, since the above temps were after taking a run down the
interstate with the AC on and then checking the temps at idle.

Greg 0036
Bricklin@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47