Re: Need an Ontario Title

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need an Ontario Title
From: "Rick at High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:51:23 -0400
I have done this a couple of times in Ontario, All you have to do is swear an
affidavit That you are the rightful owner, and how you came by that ownership
and that you have lost the paperwork. If there is no record of the VIN on the
computer they will issue you a new ownership on the spot. If there is then
there is a review process where they contact the owner as registered. Many of
the license bureaus have a notary on staff and will do everything there. They
usually charge between 10 -35 for the affidavit.
Rick
On 10/2/2008 3:43:55 PM, Phil Martin (pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com) wrote:
> Hey gang - I
> haven't said a word on the list in years because I moved and left
> my Brick behind.  Well, my uncle has become interested in resuming the
> project, and so I started work on getting the title transferred to him.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm
> an idiot.  When I bought the car, I
> didn't get the
> ownership transferred to me, because I didn't have the
> money to cover the
> taxes right after shelling out for the car.  Then, of course, I promptly
> lost
> the actual piece of paper which would transfer ownership to me.  I
> definitely
> had an Ontario ownership for that car, but
> didn't get it transferred into my
> name.  This was 12 years ago and I have no practical means of tracking down
> the current registered owner (it was sold on consignment through a mechanic
> who is no longer in business).
>
> I called the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario to find out how I go
about
> getting a valid title for this car.  The rep I talked to said that I can do
> the following:
>
> 1) Get the name (no address or contact info) of the registered owner at an
MTO