Re: Tachometer

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tachometer
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:25:36 -0500
At 07:42 PM 2/17/2008 +0100, Sven Koch wrote:

>After total restoration and doing some testdrives, it seems to me that
>my tach is going wrong.
>
>When my engine idle after it is warm my tach shows something like
>400-500 rpm!
>That couldn't be right!

Sven,

That's a little low, but could be correct.  Did you have the engine souped
up any?  Normally the idle is set to something like 1,000 to 1,200 rpm in
park.  Then when it's put in drive, it drops to about 750 +/- 50 rpm.

But a lot of engines that have been beefed up, seem to idle a little slower.

>On the backside of the instrument there's a little switch where you can
>choose qty of cylinders/pulse. I chose 8. Is that right??

Yes.

Do you have a additional tach for trouble shooting?  Usually it's a dwell
(for points), Tach, and volt meter all in one unit.  If so, clip it on
and see what it reads.  If they both agree, then chances are you just
need to adjust the idle set screw a little.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229