Re: Last Night's Movie

To: Alan Coleman <colemaal@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Last Night's Movie
From: George Curley <glcurley@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:30:16 -0400
It was Deadline Auto Theft.  (BI film critic Stuart Zukrow wrote about
Bricklin movies in the April 2004 Brickline.)  H.B. "Toby" Halicki was
the writer, director, producer, and actor.  Based on what I'd heard, I
wasn't expecting to be able to tolerate watching it live, and had cued
up a tape for later viewing pleasure.  Strangely enough, I sat through
the whole thing.  The Bricklin looked very good in the chase.  After the
first 15 minutes, there were only a couple brief shots of the wrecked
Bricklin, and a few references to it in the dialog.  Most of the rest of
the movie was a long chase involving a 1973 Mustang. Hoyt Axton was
actually pretty good in his role.  I haven't seen the other Halicki
films, Junkman and Gone in 60 Seconds, but evidently most of the
Deadline Auto Theft footage came from Gone in 60 seconds, and the
Bricklin chase from Junkman.    The novelty of Halicki's techniques made
it more tolerable to watch:  It was different from the usual Hollywood
car chases in that many minor characters had some brief lines, and there
was more follow-up footage of the various crashs' after-effects.  In
all, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting...
Here are a couple of related web sites (no endorsement intended):
http://www.sd455.com/moviedeadlineautotheft.htm
http://www.gonein60seconds.com

George Curley #220, 670