Re: Door Struts

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Door Struts
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:31:33 -0400
At 11:06 PM 10/9/2005 -0700, Lloyd #706 wrote:

>    OK, simple question, how does one determine when new door struts are
>needed, the air lift's just don't seem enough any more unless the air tank
>is fully charged up. Always requires some manual help for the last few
>inches. Or is this normal operation ?.

Lloyd,

Assuming you have a typical air door system, it sounds more like you need
to adjust the regulator then new assist struts.  However, if you're struts
have been on the car for many years, you may need new assist struts.

Look in the well behind the driver's seat.  There should be a panel with
4 solenoids (one in each corner).  In the center should be a regulator.
There is usually a locking cap on the handle of the regulator, you will
have to pull it out or push it in just a little to get it to engage with
the actual knob on the regulator.  Then turn it in, clockwise, to increase
the pressure and speed up how fast the door opens.  It should take a lot,
so don't go more than 1/4 turn at a time, then try to open the doors.
The should open in about 2 1/2 to 3 seconds.

Does one door go up a lot faster than the other?  If so, the slower door
may have a weak assist strut.

Another way is to roll down the windows, disconnect the battery (in case
you don't accidently hit one of the open switches), then pull the pin at
the top of the lift ram from the door.  Unlatch the door with the handle
inside the car.  Try to lift the door open with your hand.  How hard is
it?  If the door weighs a ton, then you might wnat to replace the lift
struts.  I don't know how much the door should "appear" to weigh - but
it should be a LOT less.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229