RE: door system

To: "'me'" <outback@graham.main.nc.us>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: door system
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@localdialup.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:06:14 -0500
Yes, the Delorean used torsion bars.  I believe someone did replace their
air pistons with multiple pressurized struts.  I guess the idea is to pick
the strut force so that the door weight is just compensated.  However, since
the level arm changes as the door opens, this might be difficult to achieve
perfectly in practice.  Torsion bars would avoid the changing level arm
problem but retro-fitting them to the Bricklin is probably impractical.  The
air pistons have more failure points, but they do work and seem to be quite
reliable if properly maintained.