Re: Brake Fluid

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:36:14 -0500
The only place silicone brake fluid belongs is in a collector car that is
rarely driven. It does not absorb moisture like the glycol based fluids, BUT
and that's is a LARGE but, I would only do it after a complete flush and
changing of ALL the seals. silicone and glycol act differently on the
chemical make up of the seals and once they have been exposed to glycol
silicone will cause then to swell and seize. This is not some internet myth,
I have witnessed this first hand on a personal car. Yes I may have saved my
brake lines from corrosion but I had to replace/ rebuild every part of the
braking system after I used it for the first time. If you are planning a
complete rebuild of the brake system Then feel free to use silicon fluid,
just be aware while the silicone fluid won't "boil" like regular glycol
based fluid it does become compressible at high temperature which will cause
very spongy brakes if you drive "sportily"
Rick

> It's time to replace the brake fluid in VIN 1628.  I was planning on using
a silicone
> base product given that I've been advised it's best for collector cars
that spend time
> in storage.  However, I just read a recommendation against these products.
The
> claim being "the product eats/harms rumber components in the system."
Does any