Re: valves

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: valves
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:10:01 -0400
At 08:14 AM 9/6/2004 -0400, Serge Berube wrote:

> door air panel i have new valves and old ones...if i put more then 40 pounds
>of pressure the open very slowly or if more pressure they wont open at all

Serge,

You say you have a mix of new and old valves.  Did you just rework your
air distribution board?  If so, did you do what I did and put some of the
valves in backwards?  They are direction sensative.  Which valves aren't
working, the new ones or the old ones?

With 40 pounds of air, I'm supprised the doors worked at all.  I think it
takes about 90 pounds to really open the doors if they are fully assembled.

>tried them on a other car they work fine any clue why?even tried new switches
>for air doors..and theres good power too?thanks serge

What did you do, remove the entire air distribution panel from one car
and put it in the other, or just change some of the valves?  Again, you
may have reversed them and got them in correct in the 2nd car.

When you changed the valves to the new car, did you move the regulator?

If you moved the valves and regulator buy moving the air dist. panel, then
my guess is that you don't have enough air in the first system.

Do you have an electric compressor on both cars?  Could the first compressor
be bad?  Could the pressure switch be bad - or set too low?

The pressure switch should be set to turn off the compressor at 145-150
pounds and cut the compressor on about 110-115 pounds.  I put an old
pressure gauge (of my shop compressor) in line while I was working on my
system so I could see what the compressor was doing.

Hope this helps.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229