Re: slow starter cranking

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: slow starter cranking
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:18:26 -0400
 Kevin it could be either the battery or the starter or a combo of both. It
sounds like a classic case of heat soak for the starter, once the starter
gets hot it takes a lot more amps to spin it. If the battery is not up to
snuff then it will fail to deliver the necessary amps thus the slow start.
If it is just a slow crank my first guess is the starter windings are
getting heat soaked and thus more resistance is created. a new starter may
help but a heat shield may also help. if the engine seems to kick back on
the starter then it may be a timing issue.
My first and cheapest change would be the solenoid. once the contacts have
arced a few thousand times the resistance here grows too, but the voltage
drop leads me to suspect the starter. if you take your battery in to be load
tested that can it rule out or pin point it as the culprit.
rick