Some Questions

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some Questions
From: "George Schiro" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:44:07 -0400
I am doing a frame off restoration and upgrade on #678 and have a few
questions for the group:

1. What is the correct spring rate for the front springs on a '74?  How can
I determine whether they need replacing or supplementing with coilover
shocks?

2. What has anyone done to improve the front suspension besides installing
polyurethane bushings?

3. What has anyone done to improve the rear suspension besides removing the
trailing links?  If you have installed a rear sway bar, what donor car did
you use?

4. I plan to install a set of Cadillac rear disk brakes but haven't
determined the correct rotor to use.  Has anyone tried this?

5. I am installing a Chevy 305 HO TPI with a World Class T5 5-speed manual
transmission.  At the moment the body, birdcage, engine and transmission are
all off the frame.  Since the all this weight is off the suspension, the
heights of the rear axle center line and the engine mounts are not the same
as they will be when the weight is back on the frame.  How would you set up
the transmission shaft, drive shaft and differential shaft angles so that
everything is properly aligned after the engine, birdcage and body are
reinstalled?

6. Has anyone swapped in Chevy small block?  Any suggestions on fabricating
or buying motor mounts?

7. At the last annual get together in Ann Arbor, one owner had installed
pull down latches, the type used to close trunks lids, that tightly closed
the doors once the door lock had engaged the latch.   I didn't get the
owner's name, but I'd like to know how he did this and especially how he
avoided weakening the frame rails.

8.  I want to route the exhaust so that there are dual tailpipes that exit
just in front of the rear tires, similar to the way a Viper exhaust works.
Has anyone tried something like this?

The upper rear shock mounting cross member is way too weak and needs to be
replaced with something much beefier.  I am in the process of cutting the
old cross member out so I can use it as a model to fabricate a new one.  I
will try to make a drawing of the replacement for the group.  On the bright
side, I haven't found any significant rust in the places where it is known
to occur.  Hopefully POR will keep it that way.

Thanks

George Schiro