Re: Rear Hatch Struts

To: Brick <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Hatch Struts
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:42:23 -0500
> Hi,
>
> Canadian Tire carries gas struts in a veriety of lengths
> and they appear to be similiar to the ones on my '74.
> Don't know how hard it would be to fit to the car, but I
> was checking just in case.  Might be worth just bringing
> the strut you want replaced in and seeing if the length
> matches.

Tag,

That's a start, but you have to be careful.  You need to
know
what the original strut's force is, or what you are lifting
weighs and the various angles involved.  If you get a strut
that has too much force, when closed, it will pull the
quarter
panel and or hatch mountings apart.  If you get one with too
little force, then it won't hold the hatch up.

A little basic physics, and I think you can determine how
much
force you need.  In the deep recesses of my mind, 64 lbs
seems
to surface as to the force each strut is supposed to exert.

There are several strut manufactures present on the net, and
some have areas when you can "design" a strut.  Then they
will
make one for your needs.

John

Someone