Re: question - heat control value

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: question - heat control value
From: "High Tech Coatings" <Htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 04:55:04 -0400
This could be one of the problems that cause many bricks to run hot. by
closing the heat riser it forces the hot exhaust gases through the intake
manifold to the other side.
 The vacuum line originates off the Vacuum T at the rear of the motor, it
then goes to a thermostatic switch which is on the drivers rear (water
jacket) of the intake manifold. when the engine heats up the switch close
and the heat riser opens. if the vacuum motor or the switch fails it will
stay closed and reduce performance and increase temperature. These were put
on the car to improve WINTER driving by preheating the intake manifold.
since most of us don't drive a brick in the winter any more it would be a
good thing to check and remove. If you want to keep your car original do
what I did, take the heat rise off, remove the flap that close and put it
back on. This makes everything look like it should but you don't have to
worry about failure and excess heat.
Rick