Re: hot steering column

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hot steering column
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 11:49:34 -0400
At 07:35 AM 5/26/03 -0500, James R McClure wrote:
>During any drive lasting at more than 20 minutes or so, there is a lot of
>heat radiating from the steering column. it gets so warm, it is almost
>too hot to touch. Is this normal, and can anything be done to cut down on
>this? This heat infiltration is in addition to all the other points where
>heat enters the car. (firewall, floor, etc.) Also, how difficult is it to
>install that mod where the booster is added to the A/C blower, and the
>ducts are sealed?

Jim,

I'm not sure why the steering col. should be hot.  There is supposed to be
a rubber gasket where the steering col. penetrates the firewall.  If that's
not there, a lot of heat would come into the cockpit along the steering
column.  Other than that, I can't think of any reason.

Since I've never driven my car (been restoring it since 95) I don't have much
actual knowledge as to the driving.  But, I've haven't heard of anyone else
reporting this type of problem.

Maybe someone else will be better able to help.

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V