RE: Interior Dome Light

Subject: RE: Interior Dome Light
From: "John Lodge" <knglionz@cablenet-va.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 21:35:42 -0400
I just fixed a interior lighting problem in Craig Lewis' #1892 this morning,
so I guess I will know first hand exactly what wires to look at and where
they are located.  First off the fuse block is just above your dimmer switch
in the driver's side front floor pan.  The fuse you will be looking for is
the 2nd from the top in the left hand side of the fuse block.  From this
fuse there is an orange wire that comes out and is joined with 2 other
orange wires that then go to the floor courtesy lights that are located
under the dash.  The wire that goes to the dome light itself is a red wire
that comes in from the body harness and plugs into the very top of the fuse
block.  You wont be able to miss this wire since it is the only red wire in
that harness.  You need to check continuity on all of these 3 wires to make
sure you are feeding power to the lights themselves.  From the 3 lights you
have a white (on the floor lighting) and a white with black stripe (on the
dome light) that come down and go to the door adjar switches (front side of
passenger door frame, and back side of driver door frame)  These switches
are common to go bad, and all they do is create a ground to complete the
circuit for the lights to operate.  The black wires that come from these
switches go to your main ground.  You will need to check continuity on each
one of these points.  It was common for the factory workers to drill or
rivet through the body wiring harness and cause broken wires in the system.
The body harness runs along the bottom of the driver's side seat area close
to where the door is and under the carpet.  This is where i found the broken
wire for Craig's car today.  Good luck and give me a call at the shop at 540
586 9761 if you need any other help.

John L