Emailing: air tank

To: "Serge" <serge.ber@sympatico.ca>, "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>,
Subject: Emailing: air tank
From: "serge berube" <serge.ber@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 07:55:19 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
This might be good way to fill our air tanks? what do you guy think if your
not using ac system...Serge

Onboard Air

This modification was easier and less expensive than I thought and will be
used every time I offroad to inflate my tires.

This how it started, I had an old broken compressor given to me, it sat in
my yard for months until I got the idea of using the regulator set up for my
onboard air.

The hardest part of this of this modification is getting brackets to work,
none of the stock ones will be of any help. I was fortunate enough to have a
large bracket collection and was able to use two that worked. If you use
your stock AC compressor there are no bracket concerns, but be aware that
the stock AC compressor uses the freon to lubricate the pump and without it
(freon) the pump will have to be lubricated each time you use it or it will
seize up. The compressor in the photo is a York brand and has its own oil
reservoir ( does not rely on the freon for lubrication.)

The regulator unit is fastened next to the upper rad hose with a large hose
clamp, I drilled two holes in the clamp and fastened it down then put the
unit in and tightened it up. I also added a plastic strap to keep the unit
from bouncing down when offroading. The compressor is turned on at 90 lbs
and off at 120 lbs.

The air tank is a used truck air tank I bought at a commercial truck
wrecking yard. It mounted up out of the way behind the front bumper on the
cross member.

The bonus of onboard air is the air horn, 10 bucks at my local semi wrecking
yard . an intake air cleaner will also be required, these pumps are
sensitive to dust. I used a small K&N valve cover breather filter.
Special Notes.
The air conditioner pump on most vehicles is lubricated by the freon and
will require some type of lubricant when being used for an air compressor or
they will fail. I started with the stock AC pump but it only lasted a couple
of months and I am now using a York compressor. These compressors were used
on many vehicles in the 80's . I have heard that they were available on some
late 70's early 80's Chevy vans with small block engines. If this is so ,,,
brackets may be available. If you use a York ,,, It must be mounted upright.
Air regulated switches are available at any industrial supplier for about 20
bucks and are easy to install. Some type of air gauge will also be required
to set the on / off levels of the pump. I have also added an air horn off a
semi truck and it is plenty loud. I am also pleased with the recharge time
off the pump, it is a lot faster than I thought it would be and I am sure I
could run an impact gun.
Happy Trails.
Ken

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
bird_just_blue_header.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
IMSTP.gif]

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type Image/gif which had a name of
bird_just_blue.gif]