Starter relay wiring

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter relay wiring
From: "Sean Johnson" <seanjohnson@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 17:26:25 -0600
Hello all,

I am in the process of changing the wire from the relay to the starter since
the insulation was cracked and the wire was green with corrosion.  I believe
that this caused #760 not to want to start when hot.  After cooling off, it
would fire right up.  Since the starter and relay are original, I decided to
replace them too.  After having done so, I seem to have created an
electrical problem.  With the key switch in the ON position, there seems to
be an electrical pulsing.  The intensity of the dash lights will increase
and decrease in a predictable cycle.  The radio will similarly pulse with an
audible pop.  Arrgh!

At the "I" (for ignition, I presume) post of the starter relay, I'm getting
6.8 volts.  This seems unusual since the it has stamped right on it "12v".
On the other hand, the Bricklin parts manual shows a resistor wire that is a
part of the circuit specifically to reduce the voltage.  Unfortunately, the
wiring harness has been hacked quite a bit and that wire has been cut.   It
would appear that I was operating without it before my present situation.
Can anyone confirm what voltage that post and the "S" post (for start, I
presume) should have?  Would accidentally switching the wire that attaches
to the I post with the one that attaches to the S post cause this?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, Sean