article idea

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: article idea
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:07:48 -0400
Anyone very knowledgeable about detailing?

On one of the other lists I subscribe to, there are several people talking
about ">in other words, I'd like a primer on random orbital waxing !!!"

That might be a great article for The Brickline.  We have both painted and
acrylic cars.  I know there are differences in buffers.  I had one of the
vertical buffers (looks like a router) that I tried to buff up the firewall
on my Morgan after I'd painted and sanded - /w 2000 grit.  But I couldn't
get the shine to come back - so I repainted it.  However, when I "color
sanded" the Morgan to get all the orange peel and overspray off, I used
a Black & Decker 2 speed buffer - looks like a grinder.  I had a friend
that had done this to several of his cars (he'd also had a body shop class
when he was in High School - which I haven't).  Unfortunately, B&D no
longer makes that particular buffer.

I'd love to see a good article on how to buff/polish a car:
1. acrylic
2. newly painted car,
3. maintaining an older painted car.
4. recommendations for a good buffer - the difference between a buffer and
   a polisher (if there is such a thing).

Unfortunatley, my friend is in England now and has been for the last 2 yrs.
So I can't get him to write one.  And as I've said many a time, "I'm just
a hack".

Editor/Publisher The Brickline
Quarterly Magazine of Bricklin International

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire   71 Saab Sonett III