Re: Electric Airdoor pump

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Airdoor pump
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:27:46 -0400
>I have a new pump for my doors but it doesn't seem quite strong enough.  What
electric pump are people using for their Airdoors?  Is there one out there that
has a pressure regulator?  Is it normal to take 80 to 90 lbs of pressure to
open the door?

Tag,

  The air doors usually work from about 115 to 150 pis.
80 to 90# will just work.  I've used that kind of pressure
from my shop compressor when working working on the system.
But you will have to reset the open and close times when
you put in a "good" compressor.

The parts xref listing has several compressors listed.
I know of several people that are using the "air horn"
type compressors from JC Whitney with good success.

I have on of Terry's compressors.  A bit on the expensive
side, but supposedly worth it.

>I am planning to add a "pony" bottle to store air for
>when there is no power....

Depending on who's air door system you have, you should have
an accumulator welded to the back bumper, which would
make the "pony" bottle redundant, wouldn't it?