Re: Wheel Restorer

To: <Maycinc@cs.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Restorer
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@mnsi.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 06:26:20 -0400
I'm not one to slam any product or service..., but if the kit is any thing
like their other products it will be mediocre art best and harmful at worst.
Their paint sticks really good but it does not stop rust any better than any
other paint!!! It can in certain cases even cause rust. Their paint is
moisture cured, that means it attracts water, it needs to cure(dry), water
and steel make rust. It is also UV sensitive. I had some open so I touched
up the rear step bumper on my motor home, that was last year and it has gone
totally flat and is starting to loose it's grip. I have done test panels
following the directions exactly and exceeding the directions (for
cleanliness), and after about a year of sitting inside there is rust under
the paint. These test panels were virgin clean pickled steel that had been
heated to remove moisture, blasted with aluminum oxide..........and so on.
there is rust under the paint were there was none. Don't be fooled by
promotion and hype, the only way to stop rust is to remove it, clean the
metal, use an etch primer, and a high quality top coat. POR or Hirsch's
"miracle paint"  are hype at their best and are only Ok as temporary
measures for places that can't be done properly.

Time to come down off the soap box, but as some one that has some knowledge
of paint and coatings I felt It was time to speak my peace. The above
comments are my personal opinion and should at no time taken as gospel.

now for the wheels.... There have been several studies done by major
corporations including the major automakers to try to find a suitable and
cost effective way to clearcoat aluminum wheels without having peeling and
corrosion problems down the road. The best solution was to use a chrome
sealer over a phosphate conversion coat. These tests were done on new pieces
and the results weren't very promising, the reason you now see more colour
coated aluminum wheels is that in order for the pretreatment to work
effectively they have to be 'thick' enough that they take away from the
brightness of the aluminum. The only easy cure I can see for the average guy
is to either pay to have this done professionally or to clean with an acid
based aluminum cleaner, neutralize, dry thoroughly(preferably with heat),
then paint the rough cast portion the color of choice. Then the job becomes
polishing the ribs and rim to a nice bright finish and put a coat of
protective polish on it. sorry this is a lot of work but here are no easy
fixes. and remember the old adage" good things aren't usually cheap and
cheap things are rarely good"
Sorry for being long winded but it just had to come out......