Re: wheels again

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wheels again
From: "Seth" <sbunin@provide.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:54:53 -0500
The backspacing is a measure of the mounting surface of the wheel to the back
edge
of the wheel. If you put a 15x8 with a 4.5" backspacing on your brick, you'll
find
that the tire sticks out an extra inch from the fender now. Now your steering
geometry is off (you've moved your scrub radius). Also, you may find that you're
camber may need to be adjusted to take the added offset into account. In general
what you really want to do is keep the offset the same on a car if you're
changing
the wheel dimensions. This isn't always possible due to caliper/fender/etc
clearances.
I think there's going to be an article in the next issue of the brickline
describing tires
and wheels.

As for changing the bolt pattern, IF you can find a front rotor which fits
properly on the
spindle with the right thickness and diameter and with the bolt pattern you're
looking for,
then you should be able to change the bolt pattern. But remember, the
positioning of the
rotor is going to affect your overall offset if the tire mounting surface
location isn't exactly
identical. I would not recommend doing this.

My personal suggestion is to find a nice set of 15x7 5 on 4.5", with a 4.5"
offset.

Hope this helps.

Seth