RE: Bricklin on fire

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bricklin on fire
From: Jim Pivirotto <jimp@SALT.FirstIndustrial.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:32:44 -0700
Another potential fire hazard is the gas tank overheating from the muffler
being right underneath. I know this sounds weird but on #756 with a holley
carb the tank got so hot that instead of fumes going out to the charcoal
canister the gas was boiling and being forced out the vent over the front of
the engine! We were on our way to the Vegas show from Salt Lake a couple of
years ago and pulled over on I-15 waiting for the fire, fortunately it didnt
happen. We had to drive the rest of the way with the gas cap off to relieve
the pressure. The same problem occurred with a new cap.

Never really figured out the problem but it might have been that the floats
were too high and raw gas was going out the exhaust. I have not driven it
much since but this past summer replaced the holley with an edlebrock. Next
I am going to wrap the muffler with header tape. Pugs